Did I put my foot in my mouth, again?
It seems my last post may have caused some to question my commitment to my faith. Well, I don't EVER want that to happen, so here's my clarification/correction post.
My faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is THE most important person in my life... more important than my job, my life, even my wife. (and just before anyone thinks that's weird, she'd say the very same thing) I've moved halfway across the country because He opened a door to serve Him. I have a lot to learn yet, so when someone says that they don't think I really am a Christian because of something I say or write, I LISTEN.
So, to help clear things up, here's my definitions on what a "MOONBAT" is:
1) someone who typically falls on the far left of the political spectrum, who consistantly votes NDP, Green or Communist, or will simply vote for a party (ie - Liberal) not due to their policies, but simply to "stop the scary-Conservatives at all costs"
2) someone who is anti-Walmart for the simple reason that they think everything should be free, no one should have to work if they don't feel like it, and that capitalism is a concept from the pit (I live in Guelph, where there is a very noisy lefty-anti-Walmart contingent... there is WAY too much NIMBYism going on around here... but that's another post for another day)
3) one who protests against the war in Iraq, mostly due to being uneducated on the subject... ask any Iraqi who had family members vanish under Saddam how they feel about it
4) regarding #3, they really think that our annual military budget should be a whopping $0.00 per year, and that our troops shouldn't be anywhere where a gun might be required
5) they liked Paul Martin's promise to ban all handguns, and think the Gun Registry was a good investment (of course, they think it actually works)
6) they love John Lenon's "Imagine", and want to implement it as world policy
7) they think the U.N. is a functional world body
8) they are ravenously anti-"dubbya"
9) is not a Bible believing Christian (almost all will fit into this one... or they will go to the United Church of Canada, occasionally)
10) fits into multiple of the above categories
Okay, now that I've offended a few more people... actually, I hope that clarifies what I meant by "moonbat"... I don't use it as broadly as some might... mostly just to the Cindy Sheean types...
Seriously, I didn't mean to be offensive. As I said in my comments, the title and some of the content was intended to get your attention, and to stir the pot... but not to be offensive.
Now, to answer some of my commenters...
In terms of the military, I was actually seriously considering that as a career path. I actually went through the first steps to sign up with the milita program in high school, and was getting ready to apply to the RMC in Kingston. But, this may be hard to understand, the Lord made it clear to me during one of the intro meetings that this wasn't the path that He wanted me to follow. So He closed that door to me as a career. (no, I didn't hear voices... but He might as well have spoken, it was a clear impression to my by His Holy Spirit) Ironicly, my wife was also considering applying to the RMC... weird.
Recently, we've both been thinking about joining the Reserves, but some of our commitments prevented us from doing that. As our situation has changed in the last week, we might just do it. Looking for more info on that, so if any of you have joined, or know anything about joining, I'd be greatful for your input.
As for "not helping the cause", it was my intent to show how some of the mission's detractors are the ones "not helping the cause".
In regards to my tone, sometimes, it's easy to get all fired up and say something you regret... or in a tone you regret. With all the anti-military retoric I've been hearing, having friends in the Forces, I got angry. The Lord taught us "Be angry, but do not sin". (Ephesians 4:26) It was my desire that my post would be able to express my annoyance without crossing over into sin. I can clearly see that I failed to do so clearly, and for that, I truely am sorry.
Ti-guy, you asked "Don't crusades and martyrdom hold any attraction for you? Or is your Christianity limited to sneering at and insulting everyone else?"
Acutally, my wife and I just watched "The Kingdom of Heaven" the other day, and no, Crusades have NO APPEAL to me... that was a dispicable period of history, and I pray that it is never again repeated... especially not in the Name of Christ. He asked us to "turn the other cheek", not "slit the other guy's throat", which kinda goes against the whole Crusade thing. As for the martyrdom thing... I'm game, if the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ is glorified in the process.
He also admonished us not to be insulting and evil in our speech... therefore, I will endeavour to keep things on a more even keel in the future. Thanks to all my commenters for the admonishment/reminder.