Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

"Released" or "Rescued"?

The "Christian" Peacemaker Teams have issued this statement regarding their freed hostages...
Our hearts are filled with joy today as we heard that Harmeet Singh Sooden, Jim Loney and Norman Kember have been safely released in Baghdad.

(...)We believe that the illegal occupation of Iraq by Multinational Forces is the root cause of the insecurity which led to this kidnapping and so much pain and suffering in Iraq. The occupation must end.
First of all, referring to it as an "illegal occupation" betrays the fact that they've taken sides in this conflict... despite their commitment to being "peacemakers". Fellas, as 'Christians', just serve... don't take sides, just serve the people of Iraq in the Name of Christ.

Secondly, why are you lying in your statement? They were NOT released, they were rescued by Canadian, British, American and Iraqi soldiers.

Soldiers with guns. In Iraqi. Rescuing your butts, and you have the ungrateful audacity to say they were "released". I wish I was making this up.

I agree with Dust my Broom on this one, it's "disgusting". It's disgusting, it's innacurate, and it's plain old lying, simply because they want to distance themselves from the soldiers who risked their lives to rescue them.

To show this kind of ingratitude is, in my opinion, sin. Of course, my opinion, ultimately, is irrelevant... it's what He decides that really matters.

h/t to Michelle Malkin.

UPDATE: This is what I was afraid of... the "Christian" Peacemaker Teams, in issuing their press release, have angered some, who like me also see their ungreatfulness as being a very "unChristian" thing.

Please remember, these lefties DON'T speak for all of us. Their goals may be noble, but their methods aren't above board.

UPDATE 1: A commenter thinks I've not been very "Christ-like" about CPT. I would ask that you please re-read the post... I was encouraging them to continue striving for their goals, just without the political overtones. If they want to be true "peacemakers", they should serve others without taking sides... as I'm sure Christ would also recommend. I too want to better emulate the Lord Jesus in my life, and one thing He stood up against consistantly is hypocricy... their insertion of political agendas (with their anti-Bush overtones) into this "mission" is something that I don't think would honour Him... that's all I was saying.

UPDATE 2: It appears that the two Canadians rescued are actually grateful to the soldiers with guns... it's just their organization that's being ungreatful. A quote from Mr. Harper today:
"'You did excellent work and Mr. Loney and Mr. Sooden asked me to thank you for the assistance,'" said Harper, who spoke to the two former hostages earlier in the day."

1 Comments:

  • At Thu Mar 23, 01:09:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Lord Kitchener's Own said…

    Well, I agree with you that it's strange that some are calling this a "rescue" and others a "release", but I'm not sure the CPT people were necessarily as calculating as you give them credit for. The initial reports I saw all said "released" or "freed", and only later did a "rescue" come up, so it could very easily be a case of the press release being based on faulty early info from the media.

    Second, I think it's clear that the CPT teams have taken sides, and don't try to hide that, but your post makes it seem that they are on the side of the terrorists, or the insurgents. Actually, they're on the side of peace (I wonder where they got that idea from... but anyway, there it is). Sure, they call this an "illegal occupation", but they're against war period, full stop. They'll use whatever words they need to stop war... it's what they're all about.

    They've got all kinds of wacky leftist ideas, like loving their enemies, treating others as they would want to be treated, and turning the other cheek when struck. They go into all kinds of war-torn areas to stand in between combatants and say "you're both wrong, stop killing each other".

    Don't ask me where these ideas came from, but it's good of you to point out that they don't speak for you. They don't speak fo me either. I only wish I could emulate a certain someone as well as they do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home