Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Quebec and "Reasonable Accommodation"

Today's National Post has an article discussing how Quebec's recent debates on "Reasonable Accommodation" seem to have gone too far.

I'd have to agree. While I agree with the people of Quebec who have been fighting against "political correctness" run amuck, I also agree that religious freedom MUST be protected.

So, while I disagree with those of the Muslim faith, I do support their right to practice their faith... even the rights of employees wearing the headscarf at work.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Oct 12, 01:04:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Unknown said…

    So, while I disagree with those of the Muslim faith, I do support their right to practice their faith... even the rights of employees wearing the headscarf at work.

    I think the problem arises because of the 'nature' of the headscarf. Not only is it a 'personal' statement of the individual's temperament, it is also a 'social' statement reflecting the status of females in Muslim society and a 'political' statement reflecting the goals and values of Islamism.

    That is in part why it was outlawed in Turkey and still is although the recent Islamic reversion may overturn the ban.

    It is NOT a value neutral symbol and until it is(if ever), its wearing is highly problematic in a supposedly 'neutral' society.

    I'm not saying that Quebec is correct in this. I'm just saying that they are NOT wrong per se.

    I have not problems with an 'individual' wearing whatever they deem seemly as long as they are not deliberately offensive to everyone else, but I have a serious problem with the overt wearing of 'politically loaded' badges. Especially Islamic political badges. For what I think are perfectly obvious reasons at this historical moment in time.

    And I do think that society has a right to limit these displays in the public sphere. It should do so very carefully but it does have that right.

     
  • At Fri Oct 12, 06:46:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Buddy, please, use your spell check: accomodation!??? I don't go in for semi-literacy, so I didn't even read your post.

    Signed,
    Normally a fan.

     
  • At Fri Oct 12, 11:24:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Oops! My spelling has been getting better, but I guess I have a long way to go! ;-)

    Thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home