Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Sounds more like a racist professor to me

Harvard Professor Henry Gates was arrested for "disorderly conduct" at his own home last week for refusing to co-operate with the police officer on the scene. Looks like the "learned" professor basically got himself arrested for repeatedly calling the officer a racist, just because he asked to see some ID.

The Cambridge Police force has since withdrawn the charges. I don't agree. According to the police report, the Professor was yelling "You don't know who you're messing with", almost taunting the police. Sounds to me like he was intending to make the police pay dearly for what they were doing... which was responding to a neighbours call, who thought they were witnessing a break in. Overall, it sounds like the Prof wasn't all that co-operative to me. I know I don't particularly want to co-operate when I get pulled over, but when a cop asks me for some ID, doesn't matter what I'm up to, I produce it.

Now the professor is apparently seeking to turn this into a national "teaching moment" about what he thinks was evidence of racism. Sounds more like a "learning opportunity" for the Professor in "keeping his cool".

From the police report:

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Jul 25, 12:25:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Alasdair Rathbone said…

    Wouldn't you be just the slightest bit pissed if your NEIGHBOURS phoned the police about a break in at your house (you know the whole being black thing really can lead to some cases of mistaken identities..) and the police came to your door, and assumed you were the criminal. Wouldn't you feel just the slightest bit like you were being profiled?

    I mean the guy probably thought to himself: "Is it now assumed that blacks don't own nice homes, and therefore I must be a criminal?"

     
  • At Sat Jul 25, 04:03:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why is calling somebody else racist, racist?

     
  • At Sun Jul 26, 08:48:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Because the Professor was assuming that just because he's a white cop asking a black man for some ID, he MUST be a racist... when an alleged crime has been reported, and he's just doing his job.

     
  • At Wed Jul 29, 04:03:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CC:
    You are an unrepentant non-thinker.
    Have a beer and chill out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home