Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Iggy negoitating with terrorists?

Well, maybe the Tamils aren't toting guns in Toronto, but using kids as human shields against the police? Come on guys, that one's straight out of the Terrorist Handbook... humm, just like in Sri Lanka, where the Tigers are using human shields against government forces. Well what do you know? Looks like they are indeed playing from the same Handbook.

But the protest itself is actually the SECONDARY issue here, and is NOT my biggest concern. The Tamils do indeed have a right to protest, though not illegally as they have been recently. But the fact that the Tamils are protesting in Toronto, blocking major highways and using human shields ISN'T actually the biggest issue to this story. The biggest, and by far the most disconcerting aspect to this story, is the response by Liberal Opposition Leader Michael "Iggy" Ignatieff.

I'd like to take you on a bit of a mental journey. Try with me, for just a brief nightmarish moment, and imagine that somehow, the Liberals have managed to win the next election. (like I said, it's a nightmarish senario, but bare with me for a moment) Michael Ignatieff is now the Prime Minister, and is safely hunkered down within the PMO. Taking a page from the Toronto Tamil playbook of May 2009, another group of protesters decide that their voice isn't being heard loudly enough, and decide to call up the Prime Minister using their new speed dail option... #401. No answer? Dial a second number... #403. Still no answer? They also decide to dial up #407.

Okay, now snap out of that nightmare. Are you getting the picture yet? By responding to the Tamil protest last night, the man who wants to become Prime Minister of this country just told protesters everywhere that the way into his office is by simply blocking the economic arteries of our nation.

Iggy, that's NOT how a Canadian Prime Minister handles himself. And it's yet another reason you've just proven that you're not up to the big job.

For those of you who are thinking of voting Liberal next time around, be forewarned... Shawn Brant and the boys down in Caledonia just LOVE the idea of Iggy winning the next election.

UPDATE: Before folks get too hot under the collar, let me fill you in a little more on my experience with the Tamil Tigers. (as posted in my comments section) Again, the illegal actions of the Tigers here in Toronto is not the main thrust of my post, my focus is on the inappropriate response from Michael Ignatieff. But as for my views on the Tigers, let me share with you some insight...

While I have no intention of attempting to "justify" the actions of the Sri Lanken government, let me provide all of you with a little more insight into my personal views on the Tamil Tigers.

There's one organization in this world that has better access to what's really going on than even the international media... it's the Church. While media organizations have been complaining of not being able to get their people in, I've heard reports from right there on the ground.

Some time ago, we were getting reports of serious human rights violations that were being perpetrated on innocent civilans, both Christian and non-Christian alike. Reports of hundreds of people seeking food and shelter within churches all along the frontier. But it wasn't the Sri Lanken military that was killing civilians and causing these people to flee their homes... it was the Tamil Tigers.

So you see, I have very little sympathy for their cause. I also have a much greater confidence in the reports coming from the Sri Lanken government, because I know for a fact that the Tigers and their supporters lie. If Sri Lanka's government says their keeping casualties as low as possible, then I rationally assume that any casualties that are occuring are being directly caused by the tactics being employed by the Tamil Tigers. Of course, I know full well that there's a lot of misinformation that occurs within the "fog of war", but due to my past experience with the lies of the Tigers, I don't tend to believe a single word out of their mouths.

So, perhaps now you can see it from my perspective a little better. If I find you've lied to me, I'm not likely to trust you in the future. That's what's happened to the Tamils here in Toronto... the lies of their side have been exposed, and I simply don't believe them anymore.

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

  • At Mon May 11, 10:51:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is widely reported that the Tigers are using human shields. However, this terrible decision does not excuse the Sri Lankan government for it's horrific violations of human rights. The mass murder of thousands of innocent people should not be the tool employed to swing Canadians to the Conservatives.

    It smacks of desperation and is simply morally incorrect.

     
  • At Mon May 11, 10:56:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Blog, I agree. Ignatieff can't improv he needs a script.

     
  • At Mon May 11, 11:40:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Matthew said…

    Absolutely. I was amazed last night that police allowed this incident to happen, but seeing that the Liberals will now give in just takes this whole situation to a new depth...

     
  • At Mon May 11, 11:57:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Again Anon@10:51, I have no intention of attempting to "justify" the actions of the Sri Lanken government. However, let me provide you with a little more insight.

    You see, there's one organization in this world that has better access to what's really going on than even the international media... it's the Church. While media organizations have been complaining of not being able to get their people in, I've heard reports from right there on the ground.

    Some time ago, we were getting reports of serious human rights violations that were being perpetrated on innocent civilans, both Christian and non-Christian. Reports of hundreds of people seeking food and shelter within churches all along the frontier. But it wasn't the Sri Lanken military that were killing civilians... it was the Tamil Tigers.

    So you see, I have very little sympathy for their cause. I also have a much greater confidence in the reports coming from the Sri Lanken government, because I know for a fact that the Tigers and their supporters lie. If Sri Lanka's government says their keeping casualties as low as possible, then I rationally assume that any casualties that are occuring are being directly caused by the tactics being employed by the Tamil Tigers. Of course, I know full well that there's a lot of misinformation that occurs within the "fog of war", but due to my past experience with the lies of the Tigers, I don't tend to believe a single word out of their mouths.

    So, perhaps now you can see it from my perspective a little better. If I find you've lied to me, I'm not likely to trust you in the future. That's what's happened to the Tamils here in Toronto... the lies of their side have been exposed, and I simply don't believe them anymore.

     
  • At Mon May 11, 11:58:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger maryT said…

    This civil war has been going on for 25 yrs or more. Most of those years libs were in power, so what did they promise those terrorist tamils in Toronto for their support. Didn't work.
    Remember the media frenzie when it come out that O would change Nafta, interferring in another county's politics, was the charge. Now, just because a few terrorists want our government to interfer in another country's politics it is ok.
    Too bad snowplows and the army were not used to arrest all those lawbreakers. Talk about abusing women and children, MIMI just condoned it by allowing them to be used to stop traffic. He will bring it up in QP but I bet he doesn't get results.
    Pay attention to who votes for the liberals. I would rather sanctions be placed agains Toronto for failing to stop these terrorists.

     
  • At Mon May 11, 12:00:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger wilson said…

    Give Iffy a couple of days,
    he'll reverse his position.

    Iffy caves again.

    First (supposedly against his better jusdgement) Iffy caves and signs on with the coalition of losers,
    then caving into polls Iffy decides Dion is no longer the best man to run the country...He is,
    then Iffy caves into Danny and the Nfld 6 and allows them to defy him,
    and now Iffy caves to the Tamils 'hostage' ploy.

    They all have Iffy's number.

     
  • At Mon May 11, 12:22:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My concern is the anger felt by the Tamils in Canada and how they seem to be implicating the Canadian government in the deaths of women and children in Sri Lanka.

    These are the guys who 'invented' suicide bombers.

    My question is: How far are they willing to go to get Canada's attention?
    NeilD

     
  • At Mon May 11, 12:23:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    From Anon@12:06: "Lock the [blanks] up. If you don't obey the law you get charged."

     
  • At Mon May 11, 04:43:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's with all this B.S. moaning about the Tamil population in Sri Lanka? The Tamils, whether members of the terrorists or not, were more than happy to celebrate when the Tigers were in the ascendancy. Now that the tide has turned its all about protecting the civilians. Well, like the catastrophe that descended upon Germany at the end of WWII, when you support a militaristic, expansionist, bunch of thugs, there is a price to pay when those you assault decide it's time to fight back.
    As far as the Sri Lankan army is concerned: go team, go.

     
  • At Mon May 11, 07:58:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger wilson said…

    "If the Tamil community doesn't see affirmative and decisive action taken by the Canadian government in regards to the Sri Lankan issue, you can definitely expect more protesting.
    Of what sort, what kind, of what outcome, I really couldn't tell you," said Theva, 21.''

    I that a threat of violence?

     
  • At Tue May 12, 04:24:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Bert said…

    Anon@10:51 said: However, this terrible decision does not excuse the Sri Lankan government for it's horrific violations of human rights.Tell the Tigers to grow a pair and stop using women & children as humans shields, THEN we'll talk.

     
  • At Wed May 13, 02:04:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Konrad said…

    A fine discussion, and I confer that Iggy's comments were poorly-timed, but just one query: why all the talk of the Tamil protesters using "women" as "human shields"? Women were actively involved in the protest - I had a few try to hand me leaflets when I passed by the area - so why imply they were somehow manipulated by the male protesters (who several media outlets seem to assume are leading the entire ordeal) to place themselves in danger? Again: the reality seemed contrary, and while it's questionable for children to have been part of the Gardiner blocade, women have every right to participate without being presumed to be tools.

     
  • At Fri May 15, 12:29:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger pyrad said…

    It's a really complicated, delicate situation. I think you are spot-on about the dangerous precedent this sets.

    I am glad that it was resolved without any bloodshed. We'd never hear the end of it if a protester or police officer was hurt or killed.

     
  • At Fri Jun 12, 10:26:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Omanator said…

    Frankly I am apalled to what extend in Canada we have two different sets of laws, one for the Tamils and the Mohawks and one for the rest of the Canadian Population. May be PM should pull a Trudeau and invoke the war measures act, and arrest the whole lot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home