Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, April 03, 2009

ON PC Leadership... what's a blogger to do?

Haven't had much time to get into it, but I do have to say that the race is getting interesting. And the wooing has begun in earnest!

First off was a phone call I got a little while back, which actually gave me quite a shock... I answered my cell, and low and behold, who's on the line? "Hello, this is Randy Hillier calling"! Turns out he'd been reading a couple of my blog posts, and well, umm, let's just say he wanted to chat! I must say I was impressed, nice guy, honest and forthright, no guff. We chatted for a bit about various issues, rumours, and I let him know straight out why I felt hesitant to consider supporting him... that while John Tory was too far at one end of the "conservative" political spectrum for many, likewise he to was too far on the other end. Basically different guy, but pretty much the same problem, only in reverse. Again though, I was indeed impressed that he'd take the time to call me, so I will at least give him some consideration as the campaign gets under way. For all those who want to take a look, Randy's website is here.

Then there's the wooing from the local "Hudakites" as one of them has come to calling themselves. A sit down with my "official" local organizer for Team Tim, and an invite to a breakfast this morning... which I totally forgot about since I barely slept last night! (irony... I didn't think I could get up early enough to go, and then I did wake up with plenty of time because I couldn't sleep... but forgot about it anyway, grrr...) To be honest, I think I'm leaning in Tim's direction, because I think he's the guy who's got the best stuff to beat the Liberals... perhaps not this time around, (I honestly don't know if anyone can after we wasted an entire year's worth of effort) but able to rebuild and revitalize and prepare us to eventually govern again... maybe even keep McGuinty to a minority in 2011. I think the numbers are there to do just that, but I think it would take a youthful and energetic guy like Hudak to pull it off. Tim's website is here... but a word of advice guys? Swap out the goofy looking pic of Tim in the top left corner... certainly there's got to be a better one you can use somewhere!

I haven't heard much from the Klees Kamp yet, other than the rah-rah from fellow blogger Darryl Wolk. Since I really know nothing about Frank (again, I've not really followed Provincial politics all that much) I figured I'd look him up. Right off the bat, the thought came to mind that honestly, he doesn't "look" like a Premier to me, but that's just superficial, so I looked a little deeper at his positions. I must say, on strictly a policy level, I must say I like what little I've read so far. We're pretty much on the same page on healthcare and education, as I've always been a big supporter of tax credits for private education, having gone to a Christian school myself. I wholeheartedly disagree with critics of such a plan, who say that doing so will defund the public system... I think they're being dishonest with their false-dilemma arguments. Frank will be getting a close second look during this campaign. His website is here.

Also had a Facebook invite from an Elliot supporter, from an organizer who I really respect, so of course, I'll have to at least give her a good look. Her website is by far the slickest website of the crowd... oh man, it just rocks. Everything you could want to see is right there, all well laid out, and at the bottom, you've got all the links to all the virtual campaign tools you need... YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, Facebook. Seriously, looks like someone was paying attention to the Obama campaign... here's hoping they get tapped for the 2011 campaign website, whoever wins this thing. I really don't know much about Christine herself, so I'll comment as I learn more... but her site has got my attention, which is exactly what a campaign site is supposed to do.

So, as the title says... what's a blogger to do? All of a sudden, I'm interested in provincial politics again...

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 04, 12:12:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What Christian high school did you go to? I went to TDCH.

     
  • At Sat Apr 04, 07:44:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Northern Ontario Tory said…

    While Hudak is the perceived front runner right out of the gate, I'm a little concerned at the attempt to distance himself from Mike Harris and the Common Sense Revolution. The fact that he seems to be reluctant in outlining at least SOME policy positions isn't helping either.

     
  • At Sat Apr 04, 10:10:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, the link to Hillier just goes back to your site.

    Second, you're right about the goofy Hudak picture.

    Anyway, I'm glad you're reconsidering some pre-conceived notions about Hillier. If you truly want whats best for the PCPO, I feel he is at least owed due consideration.

    All-in-all, great post. Thank you for sharing

    Bye for now

    Mike Wisniewski

     
  • At Sat Apr 04, 02:16:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Shawn Abigail said: "One of the photo's on Christine Elliot's website had a bookshelf in the background. I would be tempted to vote for someone who could tell me the titles of the last 10 books they read, and why they read them.

    If for example, someone had read 10 fiction books, that tells me a lot. If someone reads 10 books on a single subject, that also tells me something. But if someone reads on a wide variety of subjects, has a core set of values that I agree with and yet reads what the other side says, then I would feel we found a gold mine.

    Another off the wall kind of question would be to ask a politician to comment on Richard John Neuhaus's statement, "I believe in the separation of church and state, but I don't believe in mutual ignorance."

    These questions might sound strange, but I'm interested in character questions. And I'm interested in question that make people think on their feet, for which someone would not have a prepared answer (unless of course they read your blog). Once people pass my character filter, I will listen to their policy ideas."


    (comment slightly edited, names removed)

     
  • At Sat Apr 04, 10:02:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CC
    Why is there so little interest in provincial politics?

    Seem that level of govt has as much impact on our lives as municipal...but most bloggers flock to the federal scene.

    Seems to me that the debate on HST is more crucial that the gun registry.

     
  • At Sat Apr 04, 10:53:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your link to Randy's site comes back to this blog post. www.hillierforleader.com, I also think it looks pretty impressive.

     
  • At Sun Apr 05, 05:38:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for updating the link

    Mike Wisniewski

     
  • At Mon Apr 06, 01:54:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey CC:

    I appreciate the write up on the various sites. While the pictures may not be your cup of tea, I thought you may be interested in the social network the campaign established (http://www.right-here.ca - 240 members and counting!), the intro video from Tim, his constant Twitter updates, etc.

    And of course, if you were a member of the team, you would have received a personal video from Tim. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home