Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lunch with Tim Hudak

Got my chance to meet with the first leadership candidate to pass by my way, Tim Hudak. And of course, added his pic to the collection... more on that in a sec.

Anyway, it was a good sized gathering for a midday event, with only a few days notice to boot. Tim gave a good speech, of course containing some of the various lines you'd throw in to get a political crowd worked up. A lot of energy and excitement for a small gathering... almost a sense of "Hope", one might even say.

So got introduced to Tim by some local connections, but not as "Christian Conservative", just as me. It's funny at events like this... I not well known as me, but as soon as someone says "Yea, he's the blogger Christian Conservative", I get an immediate "Oh, that's you! Yea, I've been reading what you wrote on such and such...", and the conversation takes an immediate turn with the recognition of who I am. Anyway, same thing here... Tim and I are talking about the campaign and the energy that's building, and I forget how exactly it came about, but I mentioned that I was the blogger behind "Christian Conservative". Once again, the immediate recognition, and we began to talk about a whole host of other topics... including my recent website review. It's funny the things people remember, because as we get talking about websites, he goes, "Oh right, what was it you said about the photo on my site? Something like I'm running for something in highschool?" Amm, yea, something like that... it's kinda funny when people comment on things I've said like that, anyway he took it as it was intended and we had a smile and chuckle over it, he's certainly a good sport!

It was a common theme of the buzz in the room... everyone was commenting that there's a new excitement, a fresh energy on the provincial level that hasn't been there for a number of years. I'd pretty much say that it hasn't been there since around 2002, personally, which is why I haven't been much involved over the last seven years. New memeberships are coming in, the next generation is getting their feet wet, and this time around, a lot of the older hands that did so well during the 1990's are involved.

It looks like the Big Blue Machine is awaking... and that was my impression of today's event with Tim Hudak.

So about the photo... just to show you the kind of memory the guy has, not only did he read my website review, but he was actually paying attention when he was reading my stuff, because right after the photo got snapped he goes, "So, you gonna use it to replace your photo of you and Harper?", with a little wink wink, nudge nudge, you know how it goes. First of all, hands up if you even noticed the pic of me and the PM there on the top right... anyone? That one scored points... props for paying attention to the blog Tim! You see, that's the sort of thing people used to, and still do, say about Brian Mulroney... he remembered the little details about people. That's one of the marks of a winner.

So I made him a deal... "Hey, if you become Premier and Mr. Harper is no longer the PM, I might just".

Still uncommitted, CC.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At Wed Apr 15, 08:07:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Too funny, just as I'm clicking on this site my phone rings and the call display reveals that it's "Tim Hudak Camp", I answer and say hello to dead air, not once but twice and then hung up. Why do people think they can interrupt what I'm doing and then make me wait for them to come on the line. To hell with them I say! Pull up your socks Hudak people or I'm voting for Hillier.

     
  • At Thu Apr 16, 09:24:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Sean Gilmour said…

    This account sounds to me like everything I've read about Hudak. The guy just seems to bring an energy wherever he goes.

    Hudak's the man to give the big blue machine a tune-up.

     
  • At Thu Apr 16, 10:06:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Update - I phoned the # on my call display back and their answering machine answers "You have reached the TOM Hudak Campaign Line" I phoned it back twice to make sure I'd heard it correctly and yup I had!

     
  • At Thu Apr 16, 11:12:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous RedTory2009 said…

    Anonymous: It sounds like someone out there is playing a prank at the expense of Tim's campaign. Childish.

    CC: I met Tim Hudak recently, too, and share your impression. One thing in particular that I like about the guy is his focus on middle-class family values. Some people look at this cynically, as a standard Tory line. However, Tim seems to understand the direct link between economic hardship and family problems. Dalton McGuinty has focused far too long on special interest groups and forgotten about the rest of us out there!

     
  • At Thu Apr 16, 11:13:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous JB said…

    Campaigns workers and volunteers make mistakes on these types of campaigns. After all, they are just like us and human. So I can't judge campaign workers when I cast my ballot.

    I leave my criticisms and praise for the candidates. Tim's energy is pretty impressive and always makes a connection with someone when they meet them. Unlike some other politicians, it is genuine and he really wants to get to know you. That's why he will connect with voters. He is a guy that "Joe Blow" can have a beer or coffee with who can explain why conservative policies can help him or his family.

     
  • At Thu Apr 16, 02:51:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Jane said…

    It's great that Tim Hudak proved his easy-going sense of humour, a great quality in any politican!

    I agree that this leadership campaign has brought life back into the party in many ways. I too have paid little attention until recently and am feeling energized with what I am seeing.

    Personally, I think Hudak has got some kind of "it factor". I can't quite put my finger on it, but the guy inspires confidence. I agree with RedTory2009, he really seems committed to the middle-class family, at least its the impression I get.

    I hope to see Tim Hudak win this race, I think Ontario would really benefit from him as an opposition leader, and hopefully as Premier in 2011.

     
  • At Fri Apr 17, 02:52:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Konrad said…

    From everything I've seen, Hudak does appear - as several have attested - to have great energy, and do a great job at mobilizing grassroots support.

    As the "Big Blue Machine" goes: I'm not sure whether the use is correct. I've read some books on the subject, and a a few note that the "Big Blue Machine" moniker is typically used to describe a group of Red Tory strategists and advisors who grouped around Bill Davis (the term could possibly be used, also, in reference to premiers like John Robarts and Leslie Frost), and who adopted moderate policies as a means of staying in power. Notable conservative politicians in recent years who could be aptly be described as being aligned with "Big Blue Machine" values include Diane Cunningham, Elizabeth Witmer, and John Tory.

    ...All of this, of course, only represents the ongoing debate over the course the PC party in Ontario ought to take. Between 1943 and 1985, for example, the party basically just co-opted whatever legislation would get them elected while touting individualism, but they weren't without critics--many thought Davis had hurt the image of conservatism in Canada with his leftist reforms. After 1985, however, a convergence of factors including the relatively far-right politics espoused by Frank Miller caused the Liberals under David Peterson to begin their courtship of the urban centrist vote. The victory of Harris over Cunningham and his subsequent election victory, then, had their ups and downs: on one hand, they proved the PC party could change and endure. On the other, Harris' policies made clear the party was no longer representing the "centre", which - unfortunately - is often where the votes are at.

    In today's terms, I'd say the choice boils down to this: the PC party can take the centrist, John Tory-route, and try to displace the Liberals' emergent status as the natural governing party of Ontario, which is not only riskier but demands ideological compromise and a partial ignoral of the grassroots. Or - alternatively -they can became a more confidently right-wing party, and play the perpetual role of the "official opposition", periodically snagging governing opportunities when they emerge. Neither of these approaches is "better": it's just a decision the party has seemed to be in the throes of making every five or ten years since Miller lost.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home