Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Puppy-Gate

And no, I am not talking about some new innovation in backyard fencing.

My two cents... the audio I have heard several times does sound similar to MacKay's voice... but then again, there are many 30-50 year old males on our side of the House that sound similar, so it could have been any of them.

If it was MacKay, then he's put himself in deeper by denying it today in the House. But if it wasn't him, then whoever said it could solve this whole mess by just fessing up and apologizing, plain and simple...

"Mr. Speaker, I rise in the House today to offer my apology to my Honourable colleague in the Opposition. In the heat of the debate last week, I thought I was being clever with my quick comeback to the taunts of the Members opposite. Upon reflection, I recognize that my comment was inappropriate, and for it I apologize. I also apologize to my Honourable colleague the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who was forced to endure much public criticism due to my lack of discretion."

End of story. "Oops, we got it wrong, sorry Peter," and everyone will move on.

Of course, if it was Mr. Mackay, the last paragraph would need to be altered a bit...

"I also wish to apologize to all the Members of this House, whom I have mislead over these last few days. I was ashamed and embarrassed by my outburst, and hoped that this whole matter would simply blow over. I recognize that I was wrong on both of these issues, and I wish to make this matter right by rising today with my sincere, and unequivocal, apology. I am sorry."

Sure, the Opposition will still call for his head on a platter... but at least he'll be able to hold it high, and weather the storm. They'll scream, they'll shout, and the media will soon tire of it, and move on.

And most of the Canadian public will indeed forgive and forget. It was simply a rash off the cuff remark in the middle of a heated exchange... it not like it was treason! (then again, we seem to be fairly forgiving of treason these days... but that's a blog posting for another day...)

Well, we'll wait and see how it all goes down.

2 Comments:

  • At Wed Oct 25, 09:03:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    'I would therefore like to table this document for the benefit of the Leader of the Opposition this summer. It is a document called The South Beach Diet.'

    Paul Martin, to Stephen Harper, June, 2005, in reference to Mr. Harper's weight.

     
  • At Thu Oct 26, 12:41:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Steve Stinson said…

    Double standard or not, neo, this whole thing is hurting the government. The Conservatives need to put it to rest.

    However, I suspect that the only reason it has been dragged out this long is that it wasn't MacKay's voice on tape. We can only hope it will be proven so. Otherwise, MacKay is another Grewal.

    Where are the Conservative "Buckets" to parse the tape to get at the truth?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home