Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Stem Cells Everywhere Today

Yes, it's been slow blogging for me lately... busy, busy, busy. Just got some new servers at work, have been to a couple of trade shows, etc. Might be back to normal soon.

As for today's commentary, I'll refer to a story I heard on Global National tonight. Apparently, Canada has attracted a leading American research doctor... in stem cell research.

For the record, I'm not against ALL stem cell research... but I AM 100% against EMBRYONIC stem cell research. Embryonic stem cells are harvested from aborted fetuses. As my regular readers know, I'm against abortion... thus, I'm against harvesting cells from these people (they're not just fertilized eggs, these are living PEOPLE we're murdering) who, once we're done with their bio-matter in the abortion clinic or the lab, are simply being thrown into the garbage.

Come on people... we protect the homeless, we protect children, we protect the elderly... why don't we protect the unborn?

Also on the stem cell front... Rush Limbaugh was a moron for his comments about Micael J. Fox. (but I still hope that Fox's ad does not succeed in unseating the GOP incumbant)

And right now on Global, they're talking again about stem cells... what is it today? What I hate is the fact that the media NEVER differentiates between the various kinds of stem cell research. If they did, and if we could be assured that Canada is not funding embryonic stem cell research, then I could get 100% behind it. But until then, I'm going to keep the issue alive, and seek to limit any increases of funding for this kind of research.

Before you react, I'd LOVE to change that stand, and stand behind this research... but I cannot, and will not, so long as the murder of the unborn is involved.

Let the hate-mail begin... (but if you want to discuss the issue, I'd love to hear from you too)

12 Comments:

  • At Wed Oct 25, 07:39:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it was Swift who suggested solving the twin problems of hunger and overpopulation in Ireland by having the people eat their babies. You might feel better about killing the unborn if we used the homeless for spare parts. As it is, you are making the classic mistake of assuming embryos are human when neither the law nor traditions treats them so yet you give no reason for your view.

     
  • At Wed Oct 25, 08:01:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Psalm 139:13-16. Every life is precious in the sight of a Holy and Loving God. (including the homeless, for the record)

     
  • At Thu Oct 26, 11:36:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "they're not just fertilized eggs, these are living PEOPLE we're murdering"

    You do realize that murder is generally defined as "unlawful killing," and as such abortion in North America isn't technically "murder" since it isn't illegal.

    That said, I can see no reason to consider fertilized eggs to be living people.

     
  • At Thu Oct 26, 05:04:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Drew,

    What is your definition of "living people?"

     
  • At Thu Oct 26, 10:20:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Someone who's living and actually a "people." I have a hard time of thinking of an egg, fertilized or not, as a "person."

     
  • At Thu Oct 26, 11:58:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry for drawing this out, but when does a fertilized egg become a person?

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 08:15:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    I believe that God is alone the One who grants life, and that life begins at conception. (hence my Psalm 139 quote above)

    I haven't heard anyone who holds a different view give me a definitive answer on when life begins.

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 08:16:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    And you're right on one count Drew... I have a hard time thinking of an unfertilized egg as being a person too... since they're not, because they're fertilized!

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 09:49:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I haven't heard anyone who holds a different view give me a definitive answer on when life begins."

    Life begins at conception, personhood doesn't (nor do I believe that "ensoulment" begins then either as I don't believe in the existence of that mythical thing called the soul). I'm not concerned with life seeing as I eat post-living things (both plant and animal) all the time. What I'm concerned with is quality of life and personhood.

     
  • At Fri Oct 27, 09:53:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Sorry for drawing this out, but when does a fertilized egg become a person?"

    I don't know, I've never done a study before, but probably not until it has a brain that is actually conscious and self-aware. I suspect not until quite a ways into the pregnancy, and quite possibly not until some time after birth, but I'm not a neuro-scientist so I couldn't say for certain. Definitely not while it's still in its egg stage unless eggs have brains that I'm unaware of.

     
  • At Sat Oct 28, 10:40:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Brian VandenBerg said…

    "Definitely not while it's still in its egg stage unless eggs have brains that I'm unaware of."

    Drew, that's a cop-out. You have to draw a line. Your line is all over the place, since you are drawing a conclusion without examining the facts. The fact is without conception, there would not be life. You cannot be a "nothing", "a lump of cells" or a "blob" or anything else you want to call it one second and then suddenly be something else the next. Either you are human or you are not.

    The problem is that society has allowed abortion to become a way to solve a "problem" without personal accountability and responsibility by legalizing what is technically a murder. Just because a law allows something, doesn't make it right.

     
  • At Sat Oct 28, 11:24:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Drew, that's a cop-out. You have to draw a line. Your line is all over the place, since you are drawing a conclusion without examining the facts. The fact is without conception, there would not be life. You cannot be a "nothing", "a lump of cells" or a "blob" or anything else you want to call it one second and then suddenly be something else the next. Either you are human or you are not."

    I don't see it as a cop-out, nor do I feel I need to draw a line since I'm not the one making the laws. And I never said the embryo wasn't a human embryo, just that it isn't a person yet ("persons" have brains and sentience).

    "The problem is that society has allowed abortion to become a way to solve a "problem" without personal accountability and responsibility by legalizing what is technically a murder. Just because a law allows something, doesn't make it right."

    I don't see this as a problem but you are, of course, free to do so.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home