Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Will Caledonia ever be resolved?

BBS has some, I think, valid questions to ask regarding the climbing costs of this conflict. (do you think it can still be classified as a protest? Just asking)

Costs to the trashed transformer? $15,000,000. Now, I had made a comment some time ago that I thought the natives should have to pay for the burned out bridge, which will cost about $1.2 million, instead of taxpayers... and someone responded asking "Where do you think that money will come? Do you think they have that kind of money lying around?" Good and valid points... no, they likely don't have that kind of money, and it will end up coming from taxpayer regardless.

So, I won't even bother asking about the $15 million for repairs. But I do have a question for all to consider...

BBS had a link at the bottom of his post regarding insurance claims that some residents will want to make, mostly due to the blackout. Most residents will end up taking a hit, some more than others, due to spoiled meat, ruined stock for stores, lost business, etc. And we saw how angry many of these residents are last Friday when they set up their own mini-blockade, and fights broke out.

We know that Hydro, taxpayers, or insurance will have to pay for the transformer. So, ultimately, either via taxes, or hydro rates, or insurance premiums, we, including the residents of Caledonia, will be on the hook for it.

So, I have a question for all to consider. With the level of anger that the residents of this area are feeling, if no one is charged for the damage to the transformer, do you think there will ever be any chance of healing the wounds that have been inflicted? I've heard, and I may be wrong here, but I've heard that native negoiators are trying to ensure a blanket amnesty is provided to all those who took part in the protests, regarding any damage incured.

I don't think that there will be any real chance at peace until someone, at least those who destroyed the transformer, are held accountable for it in accordance with the law.

Now, mind you, I do think that SOME leeway should be granted to the protesters, so some kind of amnesty could be part of any agreement, but I think that torching the transformer was going way to far. (then again, I think torching the bridge was going to far too, mind you, but I'll leave that out of the mix)

So, I make a request to the native leaders in Caledonia... IF it turns out that natives protesters were responsible for destroying the transformer, please ensure that they give themselves up, and when they are charged and come before the courts, that they enter a plea of "Guilty" to the charges. I think a gesture like that would go a long way to ensure that healing can begin in Caledonia.

And if it's done NOW, before any agreement is hammered out, I think it would make an even better olive branch to local residents.


Let the comments begin...

8 Comments:

  • At Fri May 26, 01:26:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said…

    Good post. Where is the accountability in all this? Somehow I just don't see those responsible volunteering to pay up. The level of resentment between the native communities and non-natives is just going to grow and fester if justice is not served.

     
  • At Fri May 26, 02:14:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Always trying to improve. Like I said, I appreciate feedback.

    I hope my next post is as good... it talks about Liberals, but I tried to keep it away from Liberal bashing. ;-)

     
  • At Fri May 26, 03:04:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    ...and for the most part, that's the spirit I took the comments in.

    And in that spirit, I appreciate your "going after me". Thanks for the vote of confidence.

     
  • At Fri May 26, 04:36:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think its dreaming to think that they will take any responsibility and our those gutless liberal pinheads will probably pay them off. I hope I'm wrong but I guess we'll see.

     
  • At Fri May 26, 05:28:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, if they don't have the money for repairs, they could always trade something for it.

    How about that land they are occupying? *all sarcasm intentional*

     
  • At Sat May 27, 07:45:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "So, I make a request to the native leaders in Caledonia... please ensure that those responsible for destroying the transformer give themselves up"

    could you post some evidence before we hang em or is that already resolved by mass consensus.

     
  • At Sat May 27, 09:13:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Point taken Ottawa...

    "IF it turns out that natives were reponsible, please ensure..."

    My post has been updated to reflect that... it was the intent, thanks for pointing that out.

    Remember, there is security video evidence... the media just hasn't gone after Hydro for it.

     
  • At Sat May 27, 12:22:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Citizens of Ontario will have to pay for costs. Insurance companies won't cover the cost of an "insurrection".

    http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/05/caledonia-developer.html
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1146826878474&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2006/05/06/1567254-sun.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home