Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Aldo Martino and the Ontario Libs?

TITLE UPDATE: Martino supported BOTH the Ontario Libs and Tories
- - See bottom for update - -

Small Dead Animals is asking if the current Ontario government quietly buried the file regarding the "Royal Crest" Retirement Homes fiasco, reported by CTV's W5 several years ago.

Let's have some fun and follow the money... from CTV
"But dispersed to whom? In Royal Crest's final year of business under the Martinos, John and Aldo each paid themselves $300,000. But right after Royal Crest went under, the brothers both declared personal bankruptcy, stating they were only worth $10,000 each. But for a couple of guys claiming to be almost broke, they are actually living pretty well. John Martino lives in a waterfront mansion in Burlington, Ontario and Aldo lives in a million dollar home in Ancaster. John has a fleet of expensive cars, including a Hummer and two Mercedes Benzes, and the whole family enjoyed Aldo's Prowler, a boat worth an estimated $300,000. But not one of those assets – or any of the brothers' other properties – is in either brother's name."
Ancaster, Ontario. Right?

POLITICAL DONATIONS TO THE ONTARIO LIBERAL PARTY, 1996-2002
(from the Elections Ontario Website)

2002 - MARTINO A - 150.00
Riding #295 - ANCASTER-DUNDAS-FLAMBOROUGH-ALDERSHOT
Doesn't he have a house there? See above...

2001
MARTINO A - 229 - 875.00 (Riding 229 is HAMILTON EAST)
(see 1998 record for connection to Aldo)

2000
MARTINO AL (Aldo?) - 231 HAMILTON WEST - 542.15
(This one I can't verify 100% that it's Aldo, but we know he was connected to the area due to the 2001 and the 1998 donations)

1998
MARTINO ALDO - 229 - 750.00
(Riding 229 is HAMILTON EAST, connection to Aldo and the Hamilton East riding, see 2001 donation)

1997
MARTINO ALDO - 118 - 225.00
(old Riding numbers, can't trace too well)

1996
MARTINO ALDO - 41 - 750.00
- 76 - 238.00
- 118 - 174.66
(old Riding numbers, can't trace too well)

Total contributions to the Ontario Liberal Party = $3704.81 ($3162.66 if you don't count the questionable 2000 record)

Funny what you can find in the Elections Ontario databases...


UPDATE: Oops... looks like during my quick lookup over lunch, I missed some rather important details. Some other bloggers pointed out that corporately, it seems the brothers supported the Ontario PC Party as well...

1997
MARTINO RESIDENTIAL CARE CENTRE LTD 500.00
Martino Residential Care Centre Ltd 1,000.00

1996
MARTINO RESIDENTIAL CARE CENTRE LTD 500.00
MARTINO RESIDENTIAL CARE CENTRE LTD 500.00

Did they corporately support the government of the day, yet personally support the challengers, the Ontario Liberals? Was there actually some family disagreement on which political party they supported? (I doubt that, as one would think that Aldo would also be signing off on the corportate donations) Was their support faltering during those years, and they made the switch to the Liberals in 1998? Or were they your typical business fence sitters who wanted to support the people they thought would be making policy? Who knows.

Bottom line? It looks like there may be nothing to see here folks, other than me and a few dozen eggs... :-(

Thanks to jDave and Dirk for the information.

UPDATE II: Throw out my "personal vs. corporate" donation idea...
PC PARTY ONTARIO
2000 - MARTINO ALDO - 210 BURLINGTON - 600.00
2001 - MARTINO A - 210 BURLINGTON - 896.00

Looks like the guy was working both sides... PC Total was around $4000.00 as well.

12 Comments:

  • At Wed May 24, 03:47:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Really? Interesting... when I went looking, I wasn't looking at corporate donations, just personal ones.

    My original post has been updated with your info. Thanks for pointing it out... I genuinely missed it! (I only had enough time to review the Liberal financial documents over my lunch)

     
  • At Wed May 24, 04:12:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    When my lunch break gets extended... ;-)

    Thought I had a scoop on my hands, so tried to get it posted before anyone else... yea, I got scooped alright...

    I'm workin on it man, I'm workin on it. At least I'm getting quicker with my retractions now, aren't I? ;-) Now I just have to keep my foot out of my mouth, and I'll be just about ready for the big time...

     
  • At Wed May 24, 04:15:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    I haven't searched for all the contributions... found enough to show that my original info was incorrect... do you want more? I don't know what the totals are, cause you found some, Dirk found some, and I found some... are there duplicates?

    Who was the Premier at the time? Rae or Harris? I honestly don't know. What year was it deregulated? Mind helping me narrow it down?

     
  • At Wed May 24, 04:27:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Right, got my dates mixed up, it was Harris, thanks. (I was thinking he didn't come till 1999 for some reason, but that was his second term)

    And as for the totals, I've already posted it for the Tories, about $4000.00.

     
  • At Wed May 24, 04:37:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Blake Kennedy said…

    jdave:

    Let me know next time you're going to do something like this. I had 7-up in my mouth when I read this, which just got sprayed all over my desk. Now I'm going to have to spend the next five minutes, wiping tears out of my ears, and mopping off my desk.

    Awesome!

    (Nothing personal, Andrew, but this was enormous. Huge pwnage.)

    And dirk, if jdave is a "jerk", then we need a lot more of them in our world today. :D

     
  • At Wed May 24, 04:44:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Hey man, I can take the hit when I'm wrong, relax. Everything you wanted is up there!

    Of COURSE I take pride in my blog... that's why I'll posted a correction when one's warrented. This time, it sure was, so it's there!

    I always wanna make sure I've got the facts straight, and this time, I was way off! You know what? THANKS JDAVE! I really, genuinely appreciate the fact that you pointed that out to me!

    You can relax, I'm big enough to admit it when I'm wrong... you don't have to jump down my throat! When I'm wrong, just point it out, and we'll go from there, okay?

    So, in case we're not clear... I WAS WRONG. I DID NOT HAVE ALL THE FACTS, WHEN I THOUGHT I DID. IT WAS NOT AN EFFORT TO DECEIVE ANYONE... can you ever forgive me? ;-)

     
  • At Wed May 24, 04:47:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Nothing personal taken Blake... hey, I was wrong and got owned...

    I for one am glad I got called for it... I wouldn't want to run around spouting off things that weren't true!

    I'm just annoyed that I got caught twice in one week... first with the National Post story, and now this!

     
  • At Wed May 24, 05:14:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They wouldn't have been hiding any other donations would they???

    After all....how many other companies were they affiliated with or running that were hidden from the Martino name?

     
  • At Wed May 24, 10:02:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said…

    What did you find out, Vicki?

    CCC - Check out Politics Watch. It seemed that some Liberals got sucked in too:

    The Liberals even raised the issue in their first round during question period on Friday morning.

    "Canadians are shocked and appalled to hear reports today that indicate Iran is about to pass a law requiring non-Muslims to wear coloured badges identifying their religious beliefs," said Liberal whip Karen Redman.

    "What steps is the government taking to protest the actions of this rogue state?"

    Liberal MP Keith Martin asked MacKay if Canada had recalled its ambassador to express outrage over what turned out to be a non-existent law.

     
  • At Thu May 25, 01:02:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said…

    Vicki -lol! Me too.

    What's sda, btw?

    Our gov't response (Jason Kenney, I think) was that the allegation would have to be investigated before the gov't would give any further response. I should do a post on this, but I've done enough Redman-bashing for a while.

     
  • At Thu May 25, 01:13:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    sda - Small Dead Animals, the Queen of the Blogging Tories. ;-)

     
  • At Thu May 25, 01:20:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said…

    D'oh! Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home