Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, June 23, 2006

CTV's Age of Consent Poll

Wow... I was actually surprised by the results. CTV is asking the question, "Should the age of sexual consent be raised to 16?", in reference to the Tories new bill. The results?

Even though it's an unscientific poll, 17,106 out of 20,000 agree. Add your voice to the poll if you also think it should be raised. If not... then get lost. ;-)

For the sake of our children, here's hoping it passes.

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Jun 23, 03:03:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Disclaimer: No, I have any interest in sleeping with any 14 or 15 year olds (or even any 16 year olds for that matter).

    Personally I thought that the previous rule was fine and see no reason to change it. If it was ok for 14 year olds to get married a century ago then 14 year olds should be able to decide for themselves if they happen to want to sleep with someone over 19 or 20 (refering to the new 5 year age-gap rule for 14 and 15 year olds). 16's not a horrible compromise, but I can see a slippery slope ahead. Read Judith Levine's "Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children from Sex" if you wonder what I mean by that .

     
  • At Fri Jun 23, 03:47:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Canadian Abroad said…

    I generally support this law. If it really helps to get some pedophiles behind bars then it's great.
    What I don't agree with is that vaginal and anal intercourse have different age limits (vaginal 16years, anal 18 years). This is discriminatory towards gay men and teenagers. I don't thing we should criminalize two 16 year olds having anal sex.
    Not sure this the best blog to bring this up on... but anyways here it is.

     
  • At Fri Jun 23, 03:50:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Canadian Abroad said…

    hmmm, and how do I correct all the spelling and grammar mistakes that I made?
    I hope you get the point anyway...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home