Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cracking a PDF password (I.T. post)

[LEGAL DISCLAIMER] According to various sites I've read, cracking the password of a PDF file that you have full rights to, such as one from within your own organization, is perfectly legal. For the record, I do not condone any illegal use of the software product recommeded here.
[END DISCLAIMER]

So, I got a call today from someone who'd created a secure PDF file, but had forgotten the password they'd set... and of course, they call their "miracle worker", hoping I could figure it out for them. GRRRR, since figured I didn't have a chance, I told them they were likely up the creek without a paddle... but send me the file anyway, and I'd take a "crack" (ha ha) at it.

Did the research online, and that's why I'm writing this post today... found a GREAT tool from Elcomsoft, their Advanced PDF Password Recovery tool. Their "free" trial version doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it had enough functionality for me to get the password I needed. It's a great looking tool, and if we ever need it again, I'm going to recommend buying the Pro license for my company.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home