Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Time to redefine the role of the CBC

I think this quote in the Toronto Star sums up my core issues with the CBC...
Lacroix's scenarios would jeopardize the CBC's mandate of defining Canada to Canadians and are unlikely to produce more advertising, critics say.
I'm sorry, but I don't want my tax dollars being used to tell me what it means to be a Canadian.

Or, put more realisticly, I don't want our tax dollars to be given to a small group of left-leaning Canadian unbanites and being used to redefine the image of Canada into their own image.

Go ahead and tell us about our current identity, report on what's happening, and even opening our eyes to a part of ourselves we may have missed. But don't you DARE go and try telling me how I ought to think.

Full disclosure... my wife is regularly paid by the CBC, so don't go thinking I support scrapping the public broadcaster. I think it has an important role in this country, but it should be INFORMING us, not dictating to us what to think. Bring to us the world and all that's going on from a Canadian perspective, but don't go trying to determine for us what that perspective ought to be.

Just tell it like it is, not how YOU think it ought to be.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At Sat Feb 28, 02:47:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, actually CC, the CBC should be shut down. Nuff said.

     
  • At Sat Feb 28, 05:00:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1 billion dollars for 10,000 employees. So...double it. 2 Bil and have 20,000 employees. Call it CBCL (left) and CBCR (right).
    Take another billion and add 15,000 police officers. Another billion for border security. Another billion for a DEA style of policiing. Hows that for a stimulus package...4 billion dollars and 55,000 jobs created. I'm with you CC. Why screw with the CBC and people's jobs and lives when were spending billions on bailouts for what we hope keep jobs. billg

     
  • At Sat Feb 28, 05:56:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to disagree but I am convinced that the only future for the CBC should be its dissolution and the disposal of all its assets. Couples with e change to the constitution to prohibit government support for any media any time in any format.

     
  • At Sat Feb 28, 06:10:00 p.m. EST, Blogger VW said…

    If you haven't done so already, may I invite you to take part in the polls in these blog entries?

    http://phantomobserver.com/blog/?p=1732

    http://phantomobserver.com/blog/?p=1734

     
  • At Sat Feb 28, 08:42:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Already did Victor.

     
  • At Sun Mar 01, 10:16:00 a.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw the video clip via The Canadian Press yesterday.

    I think something else worth mentioning is Lacroix's argument that "well, France gets twice as much money as us, and the BBC gets 4 times as much!! It's not fair I tellz ya, it's just not fair" (I'm paraphrasing)

    That's a BIG pet peeve of mine when it comes to government spending. Those within government asking for the money point their fingers elsewhere to justify there point.

    Well, to paraphrase my nother, "if the BBC were to jump off a bridge, would you do it too?"

    The same (word not appropriate for CC's blog) goes on with politicians salaries. Don't get me started

    Mike Wisniewski

     
  • At Mon Mar 02, 04:31:00 a.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The BBC does not have commercials, next argument please....
    H.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home