Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Why I'm NOT celebrating today

Of course, I'll be amongst the very few I'm sure. However, I will be watching Obama's swearing in just like everyone else, but I think my overall perspective will be a whole lot more clear than most people right now.

For sure, the prospect of a new President is a reason for hope. And with the inaguration of America's first black President, I can understand all the hype and hysteria, and could even join in. It's fantastic to see this racial barrier finally broken, and to see the real sense of hope and pride it's instilled in millions.

But I have several serious concerns today, on what ought to be a great day.

Firstly, I think Mr. Obama essentially used the hype of "Hope" and "Change" to swoon the voters, and millions of people bought into it. Not that that's necessarily wrong, but I honestly think that he's raised expectations so high, that when people realize that he is indeed just a man, and not the "Omabassiah" some people think he is, there could end up being a whole lot of anger, and dashed dreams. While "Hope" is a tremendously postive thing, I think the inevitable letdown could be a whole lot worse than the euphoric feelings people have right now.

Secondly, I think a significant amount of the "postive" vibes he's getting out of people are not really "real". In fact, it's not genuine love and admiration for him that we're seeing today. I believe a large part of what we're seeing today is in fact a response, the flip-side if you will, of the virulant hatred that some people had for his predecessor, the 43rd President of the United States of America, George W. Bush. And "love" for one man, born out of the sheer hatred of another one, is a very dangerous thing indeed.

Now of course, I'm not saying that about the "common man" on the street. I've been watching the coverage, and watching the interviews of regular folks in the US, and I think their feelings are indeed genuine. The people I'm talking about are the partisans, the dyed-in-the-wool liberals. Their love for Obama, I suspect, is built largely on their hatred of Bush, and as such, is a truely dangerous house of cards for Obama to build his support upon. I actually fear somewhat for the guy, because they're lible to snap if he doesn't do things their way. Think of a jilted lover, running from the arms of one man into the arms of the first available passerby. That's what I think a lot of his "support" is predicated on.

And as such, I'm genuinely afraid for the American people today. That's why I'm not feeling very celebratory right now. I think he's used people's hopes and dreams to get elected, but built them up in such a manner that they're going to get let down really hard. And I think that the "love" of the man isn't so much love for him, but a result of the hatred of another man.

Either way, I think Obama has to walk very carefully. From the rumours I've been hearing though, he doesn't look to be off to a good start. I am genuinely willing to give the guy a chance, but if after being elected on the alter of "Change", he uses one of his very first Executive Orders to condemn tens of thousands of children to their deaths, then that goodwill goes right out the window.

But with all that being said, and just so people don't think I hate the guy, my wife and I prayed last night for President-Elect Barak Obama. We prayed that God would give him wisdom, and that he would genuinely be able to govern the people of the United States of America well. That he would indeed be able to fix many of the problems within their nation, and that at the end of the day, the world would be a better place as a result of his being elected President.

Indeed, I say God Bless the 44th President of the United States of America... cause he's gonna need it.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At Tue Jan 20, 12:25:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess someone had to say it.

    Mike Wisniewski

     
  • At Tue Jan 20, 08:09:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Coming from someone who was a proud supporter of G.W. Bush, this is rich.

    So you're unhappy about the day's events because Americans might get their hopes dashed by a politician?

    Do you have any recollection of what's happened in the past 8 years?

     
  • At Tue Jan 20, 08:13:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something else bugged me in this post. One thing that made Obama stand out in this campaign was that he kept his message positive. I, for one, think that hope is a good thing to campaign on -- especially given the challenges that Americans (and all of us, for that matter) are facing.

    I think that's worlds better than campaigning on fear or on bringing others down.

     
  • At Tue Jan 20, 09:11:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    I wouldn't call myself a "proud" Bush guy anymore Dirk... he pretty much blew a lot of things, that much is sure.

    Of course, I am rather partisan, but I have been trying to view this from a more non-partisan perspective. As such, these are a couple of landmines that I can see in Obama's path as he takes on the Presidency. Do you not agree that these are things he needs to be careful of?

    Nice to see you back, even if I disagree with your comments. (I hate it when this blog is too one sided, which happens when there's no feedback)

     
  • At Wed Jan 21, 12:06:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Luke Coughey said…

    I too have been disappointed in some of Bush's decisions. However, I honestly don't think any of us would have done much better. I think that President Obama has raised the expectations so high, he is bound to make even larger mistakes. I pray that it doesn't happen, but he has a steep slope on that high mountain to climb.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home