Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Faith Based Schools and Creationism

The media are spinning this one with all the furvor of Liberal appologists... however, they are way off the mark when it comes to the realities of faith-based schooling and Creationism.

As a former faith-based school student, I can vouch for the fact that "creationism" isn't really dealt with in many schools... and if it is, it's dealt with in religion classes.

As for evolution, it's just not taught at all. In order to have a good grasp on science, you DON'T, as in DO NOT, need to be taught evolution... it is also a religious dogma, but of a humanistic nature.

Bottom line is that faith-based schools, for the most part, stick to the Provincial curriculum already... they just teach it from a more balanced perspective by leaving out the overly humanistic dogmas such as evolution that AREN'T necessary for a well balanced education.

For the record... anything I learned about Creationism, I learned on my own in public high school when I was challenged on it in science class.

(interestingly enough, one of my faith-based classmates who went to the same high school took on the science teachers and did a good job of deconstructing their arguments... and another one became an astrophysicist... you really DON'T need to understand evolution in order to succeed in the sciences)

Anyway, just because you don't agree with one aspect of a yet to be determined program, doesn't mean you have to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Take a look at me, for example. I don't agree with Tory's faith-based funding idea either, but I'm still voting for him... with the intent that once he's Premier, lobbying my heart out to kill the proposal.

In order for your voice to be heard on issues that matter to you, you have to have the ear of someone who is more likely to listen. Since my local McGuinty MPP never listens, I'm going to vote for someone who will... and that's my John Tory candidate... who already knows where I stand on this issue, and who's already committed to getting together with me to discuss my concerns.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At Thu Sep 06, 12:21:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The theory of evolution is just that, a theory. As a geneticist, I have yet to see a piece of evidence that does not fit this theory.
    But a theory only applies until you get new evidence and you will adjust the theory or come up with a new theory that fits all the evidence gathered up to that point. As with any theory there are disagreements. Science does not need consensus. Science is more like a conversation.
    To call the theory of evolution religuous dogma is erroneous in my humble opinion because it is supported by countless pieces of evidence from many different sciences.
    H.

     
  • At Fri Sep 07, 01:28:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Brian in Calgary said…

    Science is noble and impartial, but scientists are, alas, all human (to borrow a phrase from the late Isaac Asimov).

     
  • At Sat Sep 08, 08:12:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The theory of evolution is just a theory, based on assumptions and circular reasoning. H suggests that there is no evidence to disprove the theory. I suggest there is no evidence to prove it. Neither is there evidence to prove Creation. However, the arguments usually go in circles .
    I see clear biological, chemical, archeological, and physical evidence that proves Scripture...God's word. The scariest thing for humanists to consider is that there is a Designer,Creator, that they would be accountable to. That is why people shudder when Creation is mentioned.Do they really want to believe they are accidents?

    It had nothing to do with John Tory.
    Vicki

     

Post a Comment

<< Home