Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Debate on "Dust my Broom"

The open debate on the Caledonia "situation" is really something to read. And this guy really has something to say. He is (or claims, you can never be to careful online... but I believe him) to be a Native who's opposed to the blockade... and is sick and tired of the status quo.

So am I. When I said months ago that I wanted to be an MP, Native issues were one area that I wanted to help change and make right. (How? I don't have a clue...)

Here's a portion of his response to another poster...
"I am not free from being criticized, nor do I expect, or want, to be.

Dawg: Can I ask how you came to the conclusion that my attempt to see the protest in a different light, critique the obvious contradictions and hypocrisies, demand more from my people in the way of logic and reason, put forward the notion that this is an exercise in windmill-tilting, a pyrrhic victory (If the Mohawks win) that means nothing outside of a symbolic raised fist to put on t-shirts and posters, that getting the land back will do nothing to ease the national disgrace that we have allowed ourselves to enter into, and that this hollow victory comes at the price of even more non-Ab resentment and intolerance, and, in the end, at its most basic, simply standing up for my belief in law and order... can you explain to me how my post is all about 'hatred and contempt for Native people'?

I ask questions and point out contradictions. When did that become hatred and contempt? Yes, I also have my beliefs — in law and order, in the absurdity and irrelevency of land claims and treaties. I don’t deny that. But how much of those beliefs have come into play vs simple critiquing and deconstruction? Do you not agree that the messages being sent out by Mohawks and their supporters are just as biased and falisfied as they claim the MSM ones to be regarding them? Since no one else is taking the disinformation on, why don’t I?"
Dude, whoever you are, you've got my vote.

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Apr 26, 05:31:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i've been reading dust my broom for some while and really appreciate his experienced point of view on the native issues. up until a few weeks ago. his open post on caledonia may have toned a bit since the initial post was full of racist and demeaning rhetoric (i suppose he's seen it all before and has become quite jaded). his intellect and insight are unquestionable when he writes the kind of responses you have quoted but there's no excuse for inflaming the racist bigotry found all too readily in the blogosphere. i'm hoping it was only a device to bring out a common emotionally damaged kind.

     
  • At Thu Apr 27, 03:28:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I looked at the Web site built by the citizens of Caledonia. It looks real. It has some interesting information on it. Take a look at http://citizensofcaledonia.com/ for a different side of the story.

     
  • At Thu Apr 27, 04:37:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Acutally, I was looking at that site, and on there, I linked over to the Six Nations website, and inadvertantly discovered the answer to a standing question I've had for a while...

    A friend of mine was to be involved in a ministry helping troubled youth. They got granted the use of some land, and almost had everything in place to get started, but things fell apart with no apparent explaination.

    Turns out that the land in question may end up being part of a deal to end the Caledoina standoff. Apparently, the government put a stop to the use of the land because there was interest in it from the Six Nations... and now due to the standoff, it may become part of a deal to appease the protesters.

    I now have a direct link to this whole mess... and my friend's life has been in a state of unknown flux for a year due to all this. This isn't something that's a new issue, it's been something simmering for years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home