Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

The deed is done... I voted today

Well, another ballot has been cast today for the local John Tory candidate... not, however, because of John Tory, but in spite of John Tory.

I decided to comment on my decision for one simple reason... to warn John Tory of how he very nearly lost my vote today, and to encourage him to take a course of action so that other less dedicated conservatives will also mark their ballots in support of his local candidates.

Today, when I went into that voting booth, I hesitated. Before marking my "X" for my local PC candidate, as I had been planning to do for some time now, I paused... because John Tory has done everything possible to LOSE my vote this election. In an effort to appease people like me with faith-based school funding, he actually alienated me, along with a large number of conservatives who oppose this plan, for whatever reason. In fact, were it not for my local PC candidate, MY VOTE WOULD HAVE GONE TO THE LOCAL NDP CANDIDATE, who's circle my pencil briefly hovered over... not because I in any way support the NDP, but because I'd be thrilled to have their local candidate serve in Queen's Park as my representative. (the local candidate here is that impressive, that they've even had me actively encouraging people to take a second look at them... in fact, my wife is planning to vote for the NDP candidate for that very reason)

So, to any John Tory campaign people who are reading this, DEAL WITH THIS FAITH-BASED SCHOOL ISSUE. Come out and state clearly that it will be looked into by a committee, and then put to a free vote. Then keep on saying that it's about fairness all you want, which I believe legitimately it is. But unless you assure our own opponents within the Party that there will be means to discuss this issue after the vote, you're going to lose this election... in fact, it may already be too late.

Okay, now that's my two cents on my first vote... now on to my second vote, on MMP.

As you all know, I've been waffling on this one for a few weeks now. At first, I opposed it, because I felt it would give too much power to the Ontario Liberals. Then, I stopped and took a second look at the issue, and realized that if I supported MMP and it passed, then the PC Party as it stands today would be split, the right of the political spectrum would be realigned, and we'd have a truely conservative option here in the province to vote for, something that would appeal to the thousands of disaffected conservative leaning voters in this province, who don't bother to vote because they feel their voices, like mine, too often go unheard by the "mushy-middle" style that we're seeing in today's PC Party.

So, I opened up my ballot for the MMP vote... and voted against MMP.

Why, you may ask, having stated everything above? Simple... if John Tory goes down in flames, as it appearing more and more likely, we're going to have a leadership review. And with dumb moves like the FBS funding issue, and the complaints I've heard of there being no real conservative option in this province, you can bet that the next leader of the Ontario PC Party will make sure that he (or she) is listening to the conservative base that support Mike Harris, who have been alientated over the last few years.

If we present a real conservative option in this province, one that is honest and compassionate, but has a real grasp on the issues and offers an real conservative vision to deal with the mess that we're going to have at the end of the dark McGuinty era, then Ontario voters will listen, and once again support us. For the most part, our policies have the general support of Ontarians, and if you take away the Faith Based School funding issue, we'd be ahead in the polls right now, without a doubt.

Therefore, based on all I've said above, today I voted against MMP, because supporting MMP would only serve to lessen our chances of tossing Mr. McGuinty out four years from now... that is, if he wins on Oct. 10th.

Of course, don't get me wrong, I strongly support the need for some form of electoral reform... but I'm opposed to any sort of reform that will serve only to silence the conservative voice of Ontario, while giving too much voice to those few on the left who shout the loudest.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At Sat Sep 29, 03:21:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said…

    Good choice on both counts.

     
  • At Sat Sep 29, 03:54:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Conservatives' political home in Ontario is the PC Party. Leadership thereof is ephemeral. The last thing we need provicially is a repeat of what happened federally between 1993-2003.

    Your MMP calculus matches my own.
    MMP would also mean unelected MPPs which is totally unacceptable IMHO.

     
  • At Sat Sep 29, 04:38:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I voted the same way on MMP. But as a small-c conservative Christian I just couldn't mark the x besides tbe name of the local PC candidate. My vote went to the Family Coalition Party.

     
  • At Sat Sep 29, 09:07:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As the libs want to convince you that any vote for anyone but them is a vote for the pc's, in fact any vote that is not PC is a vote for the libs. So I hope the person who voted for the family coalition enjoys their huge tax hikes for another 4 years.

    THANKS FOR VOTING LIBERAL you IDIOT!

    As for Christian Conservative, you made the right decision, If you cant vote for Tory, vote for your local representative.

     
  • At Sat Sep 29, 11:48:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    JAMES...DO YOU HAVE TO RESORT TO CALLING AN HONEST PERSON AN IDIOT?
    SAVE THE VITRIOL FOR THE LIBS NOT THE VOTERS!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home