Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

"Replacements" for Afghanistan

Just heard on the radio that the same debate we're having about pulling out in 2009 is occuring in Holland... with a pullout date of August 2008.

How is that going to affect the debate here? Mr. Dion has said that we need to be talking to our NATO partners now to find replacements. How is that going to occur when other nations are also considering a pullout?

How can we consider pulling out when we know that the repressive forces of the Taliban will just move back in to occupy the vaccum? How can we conduct other humanitarian works there when the Taliban has free reign to plant all the roadside bombs, and kill all the schoolteachers, doctors, well diggers, etc. they want?

I just don't get how the left expects to continue their other non-military roles without the security required... ie., boots on the ground. Can anyone help me out here?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At Sat Aug 04, 10:22:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Drew Costen said…

    I'm torn on this one. From a political perspective I don't think that any country's army should be in any other country. The only purpose an army should serve, in my opinion, is defending one's own borders. From a more compassionate perspective, however, I do support the idea of fighting against religious zealots. The problem is that I don't see a possible end point for any of the fights currently going on in the middle east, not until Islam is completely eliminated anyway (and the sooner all religions are done away with the better, IMHO, but that's another discussion I suppose).

     
  • At Sat Aug 04, 08:32:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger KURSK said…

    Christian Heretic..so you would not have supported Canadian efforts overseas during the 2nd WW against the Nazis in Italy, Holland, France, Germany etc?

     
  • At Sun Aug 05, 01:09:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    An old sports analogy comes to mind - the best defence is a good offence. The key to having a secure nation is to keep all wars out of your country. If that means sending troops overseas to fight a known enemy then so be it.

     
  • At Sun Aug 05, 09:19:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Drew Costen said…

    I'm actually torn on all war. Personally I think we need a one world government so we can get rid of the concept of war altogether, but I know that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

     
  • At Sun Aug 05, 03:56:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Brian in Calgary said…

    To tch - WRT a one world government, you're right - it won't happen anytime soon. For myself I hope it doesn't happen at the very least until democracy becomes a whole lot more widespread than it is, and unless human nature improves for the better. Call me a pessimist, but I'm not too hopeful about either condition.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home