Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Dirty tricks being used in the OPCYA campaign?

Come on kids, it's time to grow up... I'm hearing reports via e-mail and Facebook that Team Katlyn, one of the candidate slates for the OPCYA, is attempting to block the founding of an OPCYA in the Ottawa Centre riding by quickly scheduling an alternate "founding meeting" to be held before the "officially" recognized one already organized by Team Beth, the current front-runners. (UPDATE: I should clarify, I only recently HEARD they might the front-runners, guess I should have checked that first, my apologies)

Now, I'm getting sketchy details from here and there, so any further info would be appreciated as we try to sort out what exactly is going on here from the various sides.

From what I'm hearing, some folks who are supporting Team Katlyn are supposedly saying that because a "founding meeting" was already held today in the riding (scheduled last night for 7:00am TODAY at a Tim Horton's, at which no one from the riding showed up) that the second meeting being held today is therefore illegitimate, and as such, delegates selected at that founding meeting should be disqualified. Of course, the vast majority of youth at the second founding meeting have been recruited by, well why don't you take a wild guess... that's right, their rivals, Team Beth.

This is the same old tactics we've seen from the OPCYA before, the kind of underhanded stuff we saw at the Ontario PC London leadership review back in 2008. For those who weren't there, a significant number of "YES" delegates were blocked from being allowed to register to vote for the leadership review vote. Of course, had those delegates been able to vote, John Tory could have possibly fallen below the 60% threshold, and a leadership race could have been triggered there and then. Apparently, a new term was coined from this convention... that the delegates in question were "Brandered". (just to clarify, it was Brander himself that told me that one, so don't think I'm taking a shot at him... I personally like the guy, bump into him here and there... and he's one heck of a campaigner!!!)

Interestingly enough, the slogan for Team Beth (full disclosure, I am supporting them in this race) is "United for Change". From what I also understand of this race, the current OPCYA Executive has started to openly support Team Katlyn, which I think is pretty much against the rules. (at least it should be, if it's not already)

I dunno about you, but I'm ready for a change in the OPCYA. I'm ready to completely overhaul the current leadership of the OPCYA, and am ready to toss out everyone that's connected to the current "establishment". (or maybe I should say "past establishment", as there's a new sheriff in town, Tim Hudak)

We managed to finally get rid of John Tory (for the record, nice guy, love his show on CFRB, and hope he takes another crack at and wins the Toronto Mayor's race) but there's still a lot of work to do to clean house, right the ship, and get ready to take on McGuinty's Liberals. Beth and her team are, in my opinion, are the only folks who can get the job done. (Don't get me wrong, I don't have a hate on for the folks currently or previously running the OPCYA... I count several of them among my friends)

Let's just hope that these tactics don't succeed in stealing the OPCYA election.

Memo to the Party Executive... it's time to step in and end these childish antics!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Nov 01, 07:57:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Paul M said…

    This is why I've never supported youth organizations. If they're that interested in helping out the party, they can join they're riding associations.

    Besides, why would they want to bother with a youth organization when they can "play with the big boys/girls".

    Trust me, they'd be more than welcome!

     
  • At Sun Nov 01, 11:27:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Swift said…

    Beth has been active in the CPC since the 2006 election campaign. She joined the BOD after campaigning in her riding and was a delegate at the Winnipeg convention. Federally she has been playing with the A team

     

Post a Comment

<< Home